For International Students affairs:
Phone: (0086-10) 62736704
Africa -STB Master Program of CAU
The Science and Technology Backyard (STB) master program for Africa (Africa-STB) is initiated by China Agricultural University based on the 11-years’ practice in China. It has demonstrated considerable success in increasing crop production with high resource use efficiency, while also empowering smallholder farmers. After more than 10 years of experimentation, more than 100 STBs were established in China’s villages. Many NGOs (Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, World Bank, etc.) are interested in transferring STBs to Africa and setting up the suitable ones in African countries. The program will introduce a novelty model of transferring STB to Africa by mobilizing multi-sector’s advantages, including the power of governments, enterprises and knowledge hubs in Africa.
To develop technology innovation and knowledge transfer in rural area with the STB model and empower smallholder farmers in Africa. The sub-objectives are as follows:
(1) To develop a novelty model of conducting technology innovation in Africa’s rural area and make knowledge localized to Africa;
(2) To develop a new model of knowledge transfer for empowering smallholder farmers and to enhance agriculture transforming towards sustainable intensification in Africa;
(3) To foster high-level young people working in agriculture for sustainable development.
Working plan of the program
The key point of this proposal is combined the talent training in China and STB transfer in African countries. 10 master students will be recruited from Africa in 2020 Semester.
The “1+1+1” training arrangement will be employed for these students. In the first year, the students should stay in China for theory learning, courses and practical skill from STBs. The students will master the basic skills of agronomy and propose how to build a STB in Africa.
In the second year, these students will go to African countries to build a new STB with the help of supervisors, local government, company and NGOs (BMGF, etc.). they will make investigation, do field trials and service to local farmer based on program and local conditions. And they will get some data from farmer survey and field trails in farmers’ field for their thesis. In the third year, the students will go back to China and finish their thesis. After graduated from CAU, they will go back and help to push agriculture transformation in Africa.
Some courses,compulsory and elective, will be provided for these 10 M.A. students
Compulsory courses: Chinese, China’s culture, etc.
Elective courses: Nutrient management, crop science, etc.
This is a full scholarship which covers tuition fees, accommodation ( in campus dormitory (a twin room)), stipend, comprehensive medical insurance(Please visit http://www.csc.edu.cn/studyinchina or http://www.campuschina.org and refer to Comprehensive Insurance & Protection Scheme for Foreigners Staying in China for insurance policy.). International travel cost will be burned by the applicant.
Note: The final approval of this scholarship application is subject to the final evaluation of the Chinese Scholarship Council (CSC).
Criteria and Eligibility
To be eligible, applicants must:
(1) be a citizen of a country other than the People’s Republic of China, and be in good health;
(2) be a bachelor’s degree holder under the age of 35 when applying for master’s degree programs;
(3) Applicant has relatively strong academic background in the field he/she intends to apply.
(4) Majoring in Agronomy, Plant Protection, Environmental Science, Agricultural Resources, Agricultural Economy, Soil Science, Crop Cultivation, Horticulture (Olericulture, Pomology), Plant Nutrition, and so on.
(5) Certification of English Proficiency: The applicants should have an excellent English proficiency to be able to accomplish the study. The TOEFL score of 80 points at least, or IELTS score at least 6.0, or other relevant certificates of English as the working and learning language for university study.
(1) Complete the online application procedure at CGS Information Management System for International Students (Visit http://www.csc.edu.cn/studyinchina or http://www.campuschina.org and click “Application Online” to log in), submit online the completed Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship, and print a hard copy. Please type in agency No. 10019 for CAU and choose Program Type B.
(2) CAU Application Form for International Students (Visit http://apply.cau.edu.cn/ to log in), submit online the completed;
(3) Please keep tracking your application status after submission;
(4) Contact Information: Ms. DU Xiaoyu, International Student Scholarship Officer, email@example.com further questions.
(5) The deadline to receive the application documents is: June 20 of 2020
Application Materials (All the materials will not be returned)
The applicants should submit the following materials for their application:
(1) Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship;
CAU Application Form ; must be in pdf version with applicant's signature;
(2) Two reference letters (in Chinese or English) from two professors with signatures;
(3) Diplomas of Bachelor ;
(4) Official Undergraduate Transcripts; When the diploma is neither Chinese nor English, you should provide notarized Chinese or English translated document;
(5) Study plan in English or Chinese (no less than 800 words);
(6) Employment proof is needed for applicant who are working in the field;
(7) Certification of English Proficiency;
(8) Personal Statement;
(9) Scanned copy of passport;
(10) Foreigner Physical Examination Form (photocopy), (written in English, only required for applicants planning to stay in China for more than 6 months, can be downloaded from http://www.csc.edu.cn/studyinchina or http://www.campuschina.org); The physical examinations must cover all of the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete forms or forms without the signature of the attending physician, or the official stamp of the hospital, or a sealed photograph of the applicant are considered as invalid.