The Department of Development Studies of the College of Humanities and Development Studies at China Agricultural University, started to recruit the international students on Master and Doctor in Rural Development and Management Studies since 2008. So far, our program has recruited 97 international students from 30 different countries from Asia, Africa, Europe, Central America, and South America. A total of 36 Master students and 20 Doctor students have graduated from our program.
Ourprogram provides a high quality academic training in development studies to the internationalgraduatestudents, examining the importance of contemporary theories in the socialsciences for the policy and practice of development. The programlinks the international development theories and experiences with the practices of rural development and poverty reduction of China. It is dedicated to understanding problems of poverty and late development, reflecting the development experiences and lessons within the national political and economic systems, and making policy impacts through quality research.
Over the past20 years, China has achieved remarkable economic growth averaging roughly 10% annually. In addition, China has been successful in cutting the number of people living in absolute poverty from 250 million to 15 million, which represents a decrease in the incidenceof povertyfrom 30.7 percent to 1.6 percent. In particular, this program will provide an opportunity for the students to learn aboutChina’s development experiences and lessons.
This programbrings together an exciting group of Chinese and international students with a diversity of academic and professional backgrounds who have gone on to establish an international alumni network involved in development research and practice. Students in our program come from all over the world and have found employment in a wide variety of government, non-government, academic and private sector organizations working in the developing world. Around 15 international students are enrolled in this program each year, and most of them are from Africa and Asia.
1．The doctoral programs are in English so the test for Chinese is not required. But the applicant should have an excellent Englishproficiency to be able to accomplish the study.
2．A strong academic record, and holding at least a Master Degree for the Doctor Program. A first degree in a social science or humanities subject and prior working experiences in the field of development would be an advantage.
1. The completed Foreigner's Application Form for Admission to Graduate Programs of China Agricultural University, signed by the applicant, original and duplicated(Apply on http://apply.cau.edu.cn);
2. The original or the notarized photocopies of degree certificate or proof of educationin academic institution, and academic transcript, original and duplicated; The certificates provided should be the original documents in Chinese or in English, otherwise notarized translations in Chinese or English are required.
3. Two academic recommendation letters from scholars of associate professorship or higher;
4. Two copies of the page with personal informationonthe passport (ordinary passport);
5. Three copies of applicant's recent photo (cap-free, 2 inches);
6. Non-refundable application fee of RMB400 payable to China Agricultural University;
7.The completed Application Form forChinese orBeijing Government Scholarship (if any).
8. A letter from yourcurrentemployer to certify your employment status, or a letter from your current university to certify when you expect tograduate;
9. Physical examination results (you keep the original and send us the copy)
10. Astudy plan indicating why you want to apply for our program and what research that you want to do (2 page long)
1. Curriculum Requirements
The total creditsfor Doctor programare not less than25, including at least15 credits of course work and10 credits of other requirements.
2. Dissertation Requirements
Besides, students are also required to conduct original research under the supervision of a faculty member. The thesis or dissertation must be defended before a committee consisting of the advisor and at least two other faculty members in the department. Specific thesis or dissertation research projects focus onrural development models and approaches in China and in other developing countries. The research area may be one of the following:
- China and International Development
- Development interventions and social transition
- Community-based natural resource management
- Governance and civil society development
- Gender equality in development
Introduction to China
Advanced Development Studies
Social Science Research Methodology
Regional Development Planning and Management
Key Issues on Rural Development and Management
Public Policy Analysis
Civil Society and Governance
Community-based Natural Resource Management
Development Sociology Frontiers
Critical Development Studies
Development Models of China
Doctoral Degree of Management
Duration and Tuition Fee
The program starts from Late August each year. The doctoral program will take 4 years. The course work will be completed in the first year, and the rest of the time is for research. There will be 2 breaks each academic year, the spring break is between middle Jan. to middle of Feb. (about 4-5 weeks), the summer break is between late June to late August (about 8 weeks).
The cost to study at CAU includes the following components (Yuan, RMB).
(1) Application Fee (Non-refundable):400 Yuan
(2) Tuition Fee of Graduate Programs
Doctor Program: 30,000 Yuan/year
(3) MedicalInsurance:800 Yuan/year
The qualified applicants are encouraged to apply for Chinese Government Scholarship (CGS). Applicants should apply to China Scholarship Council (CSC) (Website:http://www.csc.edu.cn/Laihua/) through the Chinese Embassies or Consulates, or relevant organizations in the home countries of the applicants between November and April (varied for different countries). Please find out the application deadline for your country in advance.
The applicants may also apply for Chinese Government Scholarship with the recommendations from China Agricultural University. But the number of the recommended applicants is very limited, and the applicants should be excellent among those who are not studying in China, For application of this scholarship, please complete and submit theApplication Form forChinese Government Scholarship (CGS) along with other application documents, the deadline for CGS is end of February each year.
In addition to Chinese Government Scholarship, the applicants may choose to apply for Beijing Government Scholarship (BGS), which supports full tuition. For application of this scholarship, please complete and submit theApplication Form forBeijing Government Scholarship along with other application documents to CAU.
Please visit http://admissions.cau.edu.cn for more information.
Prof. Libin Wang, Ph.D
Director of International Student Program
Department of Development Studies
College of Humanities and Development Studies
China Agricultural University
Room 259, Minzhu Building
No.17 Qing Hua Dong Lu, Haidian District, Beijing 100083
Tel:++86-010-62736379, mobile: 13501267635